Catupiry is one of the most popular cheese spreads, creamy cheese in Brazil. If you have been to Brazil chances are you have come across many culinary dishes with catupiry cheese in it.
One of the most famous catupiry dish is “frango a catupiry” (chicken with catupiry cheese cream) commonly found as a pizza topping across Brazil.
Other recipes that are commonly found with catupiry cheese are;
Cochinhas (Brazilian street food)
Pastel de queijo (Brazilian savoury snack)
Pao de queijo (Gluten free Brazilian cheese bread)
Roast rolled pork loin stuffed with catupiry…. the recipes are vast and we will try and cover some of them in the posts to come.
Right! Time to get cooking, here is my recipe for home made catupiry cream cheese.
- 50g parmesan
- 200 mozzarela
- 375ml skimmed milk
- 1tbs butter
- 2tbs corn starch
- salt to taste
- To a blender add the skimmed milk, butter, corn starch, parmesan and 100g of mozzarela. Blend it for a minute or two.
- Pour the blended mixture to a hot pan on medium heat and keep stirring the mixture for approximately 10 minutes.
- The mixture will start to thicken up as the cheese melts into a sauce mixture. Keep stirring the sauce and bring it to a gentle simmer until the sauce reaches a nice silky cream consistence.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the remaining 100g of mozzarela cheese, gently stir the cheese into the cream so it is all covered and let it rest for 2 minutes.
- The added cheese should now have melted, stir the mixture vigorously to blend the ingredients together.
- You should now have a nice cream catupiry cheese, pour it in small bowls and serve it as a dipping sauce, cheese spread or mix it with other ingredients or stuffing.
- Home made catupiry cream cheese can stay in the fridge for weeks no problem.
- Great as a cheese spread in the morning for breakfast.