Acai watermelon and coconut sugar free ice cream
With summer fast approaching, we have some refreshing recipes to help cool us down during those hot summer days.
Today we are making an acai and watermelon ice cream using full fat coconut milk as the ice cream base with no added sugar!!! Very refreshing and packed with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant vitamins thanks to the Amazonian superfruit acai and delicious watermelon.
Recent studies have suggested that acai pulp is a lot richer in antioxidants than all other berries such as raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. You can find acai frozen pulp in selected health organic chains or Brazilian grocery shops.
As mentioned, for the base I am using coconut milk which makes for a great ice cream base, it is a good replacement for double cream. For this recipe, I have used a little bit of both 🙂
- 400g de-seeded Watermelon
- 100g frozen acai pulp
- 100g double cream
- 200g full fat coconut milk
- 1tbs honey (optional)
- First blend the watermelon on its own.
- Pass the mix through a sieve to remove any seeds that may have gotten in the mix.
- Return the sieved juices of watermelon back in the blender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Blend the whole mix for a few minutes.
- We used an Ice cream machine, as the finish is creamier. Check your ice cream machine instructions on how to use. Mine takes 8 hours in the freezer before you can use it.
- Once the machine Is ready for use, turn the machine on and pour the inside.
- It took around 40 minutes until the consistency was right.
- Add small carved balls of watermelon for presentation and added flavour.