Ok, here is the ultimate home made caipirinha recipe.
This is how I make it at home, more like a family recipe as we all prepare it the same way over here 🙂
Do be careful, it’s very easy to drink, sweet but strong. Not to be mistaken for lemon juice!
- White granulated sugar
- Cachaça (Brazilian rum)
- Plenty of ice
- Cut your Limes into halves and quarters.
- Remove the white bits from the center (it makes it bitter).
- Into a pestle add 3 tea spoons of sugar.
- Add a whole lime cut into quarters.
- With a mortar, crush the limes and sugar, until all the juice has come out of the limes.
- Add a double shot of rum ( I just count 1, 1000, 2, 1000, 3, 1000, 4).
- Mix it well, make sure to dissolve all the sugar.
- Pour the drink into a glass, add 3 or four cubes of Ice or a hand full of crashed ice.
- Taste it, if too strong you might need a bit of water if not sweet enough add more sugar.
Some places like to get creative with the original recipe. We have done a couple of alternative versions, kiwi and strawberry… I must say, they are nice but for me only the original will do.