Chicken pie (Empadinhas)
Someone asked me the other day if Brazilians made pies… Yes, we do!!!
This is a good one too as you can get creative with the fillings.
According to pt.wikipedia.org the empadinha dates back to medieval times and were introduced to Brazil by our Portuguese cousins from across the pond. Today, with the popularity of empadarias (specialised pie shops), this irresistible savoury snack comes in unusual flavours and are very popular at birthday parties and special events, it is also a favourite snack of choice for a quick lunch break.
- Feeds 4
- 500 gr of plain flour
- 1 x egg
- 200 gr of margarine or butter
- 1 x teaspoon of salt
- 1 x heaped tea spoon of baking powder
- about 100ml of cold water
- 1 x egg yolk (for egg washing)
- Chicken (see links)
- Palm hearts in white sauce
- Minced meat
- Cheese and onion
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and butter with the tip of you finger
- The mix should resemble thick sand
- Add the whole egg and mix it
- Add the water and start Kneading it until its soft and smooth
- Place it into a plastic bag and place it in the fridge for at least 30 min
- After 30 min, its time to assemble the Empadinhas
- You do not need to grease the tins.
- Remove small balls of pastry and flatten them into the tin, make sure its not too thick
- Try to stretch them all the way to the top
- Add your filling of choice
- Remove another bit of pastry, flatten using the palm of your hands and use it as a lid for the pie.
- Egg wash the top for a beautiful glaze
- Oven on 180 to 200 C
- Cook it for 40 to 45 min, depending on oven