Chicken XinXim (Xinxim de galinha)
This dish is an interesting one… Best way to describe it would be Its like a curry but without any curry spices! sort of like a chicken Korma.
But still, It’s a delicious refreshing dish. I know we loved it.
- 1 KG of Chicken, I used thighs (de-boned and cut into medium pieces), but you can use breast.
- 1/3 cup of palm oil (Make sure to use palm oil from sustainable sources).
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts.
- 1/3 cup of cashew nuts.
- 1/3 bunch chopped cilantro/Coriander.
- 1 dessert spoon of grated ginger.
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.
- 2 cloves garlic.
- 1 large onions.
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice.
- 1 Can of coconut milk.
- Salt to taste.
- 175 g dried, crushed and peeled shrimp (optional, usually found in Chinese food stores).
- Dried chilli flakes to taste (optional).
- Cut the chicken into medium chunks, sprinkle with some salt and black pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat the palm oil and cook the chicken pieces for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a blender add coriander, Cashew nuts, peanuts, ginger, garlic and dry shrimp. Blend it into a rough paste and add it to the chicken.
- Cook over medium heat for an additional 10 min, if the paste gets too dry, add some water.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for another 15 min.
- If the stock starts to dry, add a little water.
- Serve with white rice and palm oil farofa .
- A little goes a long way here, it is mainly for texture.
- Add enough palm oil to a pan 1 Tbsp.
- Add half finely chopped onion, cook the onion till soft.
- Add the toasted cassava flour (Gari), cook it for 5 minutes..
- Add some salt and black pepper.