Coconut delight – Cocada
Bringing nostalgic childhood memories back on the table and giving my sweet tooth a little treat in the process. Here is a modified / healthy take on a popular traditional Brazilian coconut comfort sweet treat, doce de cocada.
- 250g Coconut sugar (or any other sugar of your choice)
- 200g of fresh blended coconut (make sure you have a good blender or food processor)
- 100ml coconut fresh water
- 2x egg yolk
- 2 tp of un-salted butter
- Lime zest and juice of half lime
- This is the simplest recipe ever and you can experiment with the ingredients. We chose coconut sugar purely for it being the healthier option compared to other types of processed sugars and also to really keep it coconuty 🙂
- Mix the water and the sugar together and bring it to boil, turn the heat down to medium low and keep gently stirring the mixture until it turns into a nice syrup consistency.
- On a separate bowl mix the coconut, butter, lime juice and egg yolk together.
- Once the sugar mix has reached the right consistency, add the coconut mixture and bring it to a nice gentle boil – keep an eye not to burn the mixture, stirring occasionally.
- When you are satisfied with the consistency of the mixture, add the lime zest, give it a nice mix and let it cool down.
- The longer you let the sugar mix caramelize, the harder/stickier will be the sweet when cooled down. We like ours to have a nice soft caramelized cream running through it, so we can eat with spoons.
- Best served chilled.