Gluten free Corn Cake
Got this recipe from a friend over the weekend, while having a BBQ on a very windy and cold day at 8:00 pm, we suffered a bit, but it was well worth the work. My grandmother used to make this cake and I love it. It’s sweet, creamy and delicious.
Also very easy to make.
- 1 can of sweet corn (try to get the big can, 400 g)
- 4 eggs
- Extra coarse cornmeal (ideally flocao, but I make mine with any extra coarse cornmeal)
- 1 dessertspoon of baking powder
- Add the sweet corn, including any liquid in the can to a blender.
- Using the same can, measure 1 can of milk and add to the blender.
- Measure 1 can of extra coarse cornmeal add it to the mix.
- Measure 1 can of sugar add it to the blender.
- Add one dessert spoon off baking powder.
- Add 4 eggs.
- Blend the ingredients well.
- It will be a very wet mix, but don’t worry.
- Butter a baking tray (this cake tends to bake very well on those fluted cake tins, but i don’t have them, I use higher loaf baking tins).
- Pour the mix onto 1 or two trays, smaller High trays are better.
- Bake it at 180C for 40 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven, it will fell soft to the touch, and let it cool down for an hour.
- enjoy it.
- It does look better if cooked on fluted backing ring style tins.
- Go for the extra coarse cornmeal, as the texture will not be the same is you use the finer one.
- Doesn’t need anything, I love it just on its own, especially if it still a bit warm.
- But if you like something on your cake, I guess custard would definitely work.