Escondidinho de carne seca
Hmmm, I had this a few times in the North of Brazil, great easy dish to prepare, can be served as a starter or a main.
We will be serving this for starters.
- Carne Seca 200 - 300 g (Dried salt cured Meat, only place i could find it was at Brazilian food store here in London)
- 2 x medium Cassavas
- 1 x large Onion
- 2 x cloves of garlic
- 2 x tomato pealed
- 20 g butter
- Cheese of choice
- Salt and black pepper
- First thing is to place the Cured meat in a bawl of water, preferably overnight, change the water from time to time. if you don't do this, the dish will be very salty.
- I will be using my trusty pressure cooker for the next step. I would recommend getting one, it saves a lot of time.
- Place you cured meat in the pan add some fresh water to it, get the lid on, cook for approximately 20 to 25 minutes from the time the pressure cooker starts whistling. Once done, just run some cold water over the top of the pan for a minute, then you will be able to open the lid safely.
- Remove the meat, it should be very soft and breaking up easily. Using 2 forks shred it.
- Prepare the Cassava see here. Peal it, Boil it for around 20 min, prick it to make sure its soft.
- Mash the cassava with a masher or a fork, add it to a pan, add the butter and milk (we want this cassava mash on the soft side, but not too wet) add a little salt and black pepper. Set it aside.
- To a pan add a little oil, add the chopped onions and mashed garlic, cook it for a while until the onions have softened, add the shredded meat to the pan and add the chopped tomatoes . cook for about 5 minutes.
- Get some oven safe ramekins, I prefer white ones, as the name of the dish (escondidinho) literal means "little hidden one", although i think "surprise" would make more sense.
- To the bottom of the ramekin, add some of the cassava mash, not too much, just enough to cover the bottom.
- Then add a generous layer of the meat mix.
- Top it all off with a generous layer of the mash.
- Grate your favourite cheese on top.
- Grill it for around 5 minutes at 200C or until you have a golden brown surface.
- Serve while warm, Enjoy it.