OxTail and Cassava (Rabada)
Delicious, warm comforting dish, that will taste amazing every time.
My aunt Jane makes an amazing Oxtail stew, so she was my inspiration for this dish. Hope you guys enjoy it.
- 2 KG of Oxtail (ask your butcher to prep it)
- 1 KG of Cassava
- 1 Large Onion
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- Celery to taste (optional)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1-2 L of good beef stock
- 2 Tbs of olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Get your Large Pressure cooker, add the olive oil and put it on high heat.
- Add the Oxtail let the pieces cook for a while the turn them so the other side gets browned. Get some good colour as this will help with the flavour. 5-10 min cooking.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and celery, cook long enough to soften the onions, don't let it colour.
- Add 1 1/2 L of the beef stock.
- Get the lid on and let if cook for 45 min to 1 hour on the pressure cooker. You will have to check as the bigger pieces will take longer to cook.
- The meet should be soft and coming out of the bone.
- If you are cooking with the pressure cooker, after 45 min to 1 hour cooking time, remove it from the heat, let the steam out (run it under a cold tap) and check the meat. It should be soft and coming out of the bone, if not cook it for another 10 min and keep checking.
- Add the pealed and cut cassava to the pan add the remaining 1/2 L of stock put the lid back on and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Take if of the heat, let steam out, check the cassava it should be very soft.
- I like my Oxtail stew very thick, so i cook it down for another 15 min without the lid on... just to thicken it up... check for seasoning, salt and black pepper.
- Regular Pan: up to 3:00 cooking
- The procedure is the same, just the cooking time changes.
- Cook the oxtail for 2 to 3 hours, checking the meet every 30 min, the meet should be soft and coming off the bone. You will have to top up the stock from time to time.
- Add the pealed and chopped cassava to the pan and cook it for another 30 min, check the cassava it should be very soft and the liquid in the pan should be thick.
- White rice (really good if feeding a lot of people).
- There is no room for salad in this Dish 🙂