Roast chicken with orange sauce – Frango assado ao molho de laranja
Extremely easy to prepare, practical and delicious. This recipe is very simple and the end result will leave all your guests asking for more!
In Brazil, I have seen and tried many variations of this dish and the end result was the same. This is one of my favourite roast chicken recipes, the chicken is very moist and covered with a deliciously sweet orange glaze and it tastes amazing.
- 10 x pieces of chicken (Legs and thighs are my favourite)
- 3 - 4 crashed cloves of garlic
- Rosemary to taste (extras for garnishing)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 x fresh oranges (extra sliced oranges for garnishing)
- Sliced onions (optional)
- 1 tea spoon of plain flour
- Add the salt, black pepper and crashed garlic to the chicken, make sure they are all covered and let it marinate, the longer the better (minimum 30 minutes to allow the chicken to absorb the flavours).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Place the marinated chicken onto a deep tray, arrange them nicely and add the juice of 3 freshly squeezed oranges, make sure the juice fills up the tray and add the rosemary and onions on top (onions are optional).
- Cover the tray with a kitchen foil and place it in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the foil and separate the chicken from the lovely orange/chicken stock (save it) and roast the chicken separately for another 30 to 40 minutes allowing the chicken to brown up and the orange glazed coated skin to get crispy 🙂
- While you are waiting for the chicken, place the stock into a small pan to a medium heat hob. In a small cup, mix a little bit of cold water with 1 tea spoon of plain flour and add it to the stock, this will thicken up the sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened.
- Once the chicken is golden and crispy, remove from oven, place it on a serving tray and add the gorgeous orange sauce over the chicken.
- All done.
- Rub some butter on top of the chicken skin while roasting to make it extra crispy!