The Secret Steak
I will probably be excommunicated from Brazil for sharing this secret.
What if I told you that there is a cut of meat so delicious, so soft and succulent and it is virtually unknown here in the UK.
The cut I’m talking about is called Picanha , known as “Rump Cap” in the English language.
This cut is very popular in South America if you can find a Brazilian butcher where you live, good times!!! If not, I have found Rump Cap on butchers on-line.
The cut only comes as a whole piece, it will never be over 2 KG (4 pounds) the average weight is 1.5 KG (3 pounds). Price varies from £16 to £20 pounds per kilo.
Ways to Prepare it:
- For BBQ, cut the whole piece into thick 1 inch thick slices (my favourite).
- 20 minutes before cooking the meat, add quite a bit of rock salt all around the meat, don’t worry, the meat will absorb the right amount – excess salt can be shaken off once the meat has been sealed on the grill.
- BBQ it for about 5 minutes on all sides to seal the meat to keep it nice and juicy (i like mine medium rare).
- Watch out for the flames, as the fat starts to render and melt, the grill will get hotter and flames will start to burn the meat – control the flames with a sprinkle of water or move the meat around the grill.
- Just before removing from the grill hit the steaks with a fork, to remove any excess salt.
- Rest it for a couple of minutes before slicing it across the grain.
- Bon appetit!
- Tomatoes salads
- Beer (very cold)
- Don’t mess with the flavours, just add a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper!
- Cut the steak slices at about 1/2 inch in size.
- On a very hot Griddle, cook it for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Turn the steak on its fatty side and render some of the fat at the top.
- Fat Chips
- Beer (very cold)
If you cant get your butcher to prepare the steaks for you… remember:
There is membrane at the bottom of the rump cap, you have to remove it. it is very thin, and it does take some knife skills to remove it. If you don’t, that membrane shrinks during cooking and it will make the steak hard.